Monday, February 6, 2017

What to do if you are diagnosed with a disability

Q. I’m 37 years old, married with two great kids and I was just diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I’m trying to plan for the future, and I was wondering if you have any suggestions for work at home or self-employment ideas for people with disabilities.

A. I’m really sorry to hear you’re facing this. You’re a smart, brave young woman to be looking ahead and making plans for the coming years.

I suggest you read a book by Dan Miller called “48 Days to Creative Income.” Dan is a friend of mine, and he also wrote a popular book titled “48 Days to the Work You Love.” The issue you’re talking about is very close to his heart, and I think his books will be a great help to you.

There’s also a book by Richard Bolles. It’s called “Job Hunting for the So-Called Handicapped or People Who Have Disabilities,” and it’s full of ideas to help you work around the issues you’ll be facing.

There are lots of people out there – well-known, highly successful folks – who have disabilities and still make good money and have rewarding lives using the principles found in these books. Another great piece of news is it sounds like you have a wonderful support system around you.

God bless you all. I’m praying for you.